a brand new day


Jan 1, 2014

New year days are special. We are allowed to close all old chapters of the year gone by and start fresh.

I was writing a cynical letter just yesterday, in which I mentioned as to how marketing mavericks wanting to sell dinner parties and electronic appliances have convinced us that the night of 31st December is very special, when actually every moment of our life is a moment of transformation - if we want it to be!

Having said that if one wants to celebrate and have fun, this could be a great night to do so. I stepped out just for ten minutes out of my apartment on to the payment at midnight - there were hundreds of others, standing out in the streets staring that the tallest building in the world which was just blinking - giving a prelude to what was to follow.

I started taking pictures when the fireworks started and then stopped as it was too good to be seen only through a camera view finder. I spent the next few minutes in a wide-eyed-mouth-open pose unlike the others who were cheering, clapping, taking selfies with the fireworks as the background and basically wishing each other.

I returned to my apartment and then from the window saw the thousands of cars stuck in the other side of the road as people had ventured out with the hope of catching the fireworks and having a good time. I felt a little sad for them as they were all dressed and ready, but spent the moment stuck in a highway in their car. While I, dressed in my tracks and slippers / camera in hand saw what they had planned to catch.

Maybe the best plans are the unplanned surprises that life gives you. Wish you a very happy 2014

Popular Posts